Computational Photography Researcher
Join a cutting edge research & development team, applying novel computer graphics & vision technologies to a mass-scale consumer application, in an industry neglected by innovation for decades.
We are looking for an imaginative computer scientist with experience in computational photography to join our core startup team of vision and graphics specialists. In this role, you will develop novel algorithms to generate attractive, high-resolution, high dynamic range photography from multiple pose-calibrated photographs, depths, surface meshes, and synthetic object models.
This position requires practical experience developing cool photographic imaging applications, such as experience in image alignment, novel view synthesis, super resolution, motion stabilization, mosaic stitching & blending, focus-from-depth, HDR, 3D video conversion, VR capture, multiview/polycameras, synthetic lighting & relighting, ray tracing.
Ideal candidates will have a solid academic foundations in 3D computer vision and computational imaging, and some experience with 3D graphics --- combined with strong scientific method, substantial hands-on software development experience, and an appreciation for visual aesthetics.
Note that this role is NOT a 3D graphics modelling or animation role, and it is NOT sufficient experience to have rendered models using off-the-shelf software or libraries. Candidates will need to be familiar with underlying rendering algorithmic foundations, and be capable of developing new algorithms from foundational theory.
- Solid academic foundations in 3D computer vision (Ph.D. preferred).
- Experience with dense optical flow, depth maps.
- Experience with computational photography: e.g. multi-view imaging, novel view synthesis, motion stabilization, light fields.
- Experience with image-based rendering: e.g. mosaicing, super resolution, HDR.
- Strong C++ software development skills in Linux environments.
- Experience with 3D graphics programming and rendering.
- Bonus points for hands-on experience implementing panoramic mosaicing, blending, deghosting.
- Bonus points for hands-on experience with ray tracing and photorealistic rendering.
- Bonus points for OpenGL shader programming experience.
- Appreciation for photography & visual aesthetics.
- Enthusiastic about seed-stage startups; entrepreneurial; comfortable with uncertainty.
- Rare opportunity to join an early tech startup adventure when it is less than ten people, led by founders who've taken two startup teams through IPO.
- Substantial stock equity packages, of the sort only available to early startup employees.
- Opportunity to develop novel research and apply it to mass-scale real applications. Ability to publish, participate in scientific conferences, and collaborate with partners in academia.
- Headquartered in Mountain View, California, in the heart of the Castro Street downtown restaurant district; an easy walk from Caltrain and bicycling trails.