AR/VR Rendering & Lighting Engineer
Geomagical Labs has an opening for an imaginative computer graphics engineer, with strong computer science, 3D computer graphics, rendering, and imaging foundations, to join our core startup team.
In this role, you will design & develop exciting algorithms and production software to render beautiful AR augmented imagery from video & still photography, synthetic object models, and moving lighting. This position requires hands-on experience with 3D graphics, image processing, and lighting/highlights/shadows. The role also requires strong scientific method, substantial software development experience, and an appreciation for visual aesthetics.
Note this role is an advanced software engineering position, NOT a 3D modelling or animation role, and it is NOT sufficient experience to have rendered models using off-the-shelf software or libraries. Candidates will need to be very familiar with 3D graphics algorithms, and be capable of developing or improving software from published papers and foundational theory.
- Solid foundations in computer science & 3D computer graphics (graduate degree preferred).
- Solid hands-on experience with OpenGL shader programming and modern GPU pipelines.
- Solid foundations in 3D perspective geometry, linear algebra, and matrix transforms.
- Solid background in image processing and digital photography.
- Strong C++ software development skills in Linux environments.
- Experience with methods for shadow and highlight rendering.
- Experience implementing methods published in academic research papers.
- Familiar with color theory, color models/gamuts, white balance, color calibration, color constancy.
- Bonus points for experience with WebGL/ThreeJS.
- Bonus points if familiar with Retinex theory and intrinsic image decomposition.
- Bonus points for experience with image based rendering and/or computational photography.
- Bonus points for experience with 3D photography.
- Must have appreciation for visual aesthetics.
- Must be enthusiastic about seed-stage startups; entrepreneurial; comfortable with technical uncertainty.
- Rare opportunity to join an early tech startup, led by founders who've taken two startup teams through IPO.
- Substantial stock equity packages, of the sort only available to early startup employees.
- Opportunity to develop novel research and apply it to mass-scale real applications. Ability to publish, participate in scientific conferences, and collaborate with partners in academia.
- Headquartered in Mountain View, California, in the heart of the Castro Street downtown restaurant district; an easy walk from Caltrain and bicycling trails.